Groupon False Advertises and Lacks Good Customer Service

Update added by user Jul 22, 2015

Groupon contacted me yesterday and refunded me with Groupon Bucks for the full cost. They apologized for the miscommunication.

Original review posted by user Jul 21, 2015

Groupon advertises a 24 week subscription to the Boston Herald Sunday edition only that retails for $136.00 for $70.00 (49% off). The problem is that the cost of home delivery of the Sunday edition is $66.00 - nowhere near the $136. This is a rip-off!

Without thinking I purchased it thinking I was getting a deal. I called the Boston Herald to activate the Groupon and they were the ones who told me that the cost was $66 which I confirmed on their website. The $66 is a 14% discount off the $72 retail price. Obviously $72 is no where near the $136 dollar savings that Groupon is claiming. Unfortunately, I can't cancel as I already activated it with the Herald.

So I wrote Groupon support thinking that they may have made a mistake on the ad and would want to fix it. Also, I wanted to get a refund for my overpayment. All I got was someone from support telling me that it is not their fault if the company changes the price - they put the ad up with the correct price at that time. I wrote them back and explained that this was not the case and it was never $136 but they have ignored all my emails. I asked to escalate to a supervisor but got nowhere.

I have bought things from Groupon before and have had no issue. But now I am so frustrated and believe they ripped me off. On top of that they are ignoring my emails wanting the 49% discount they promised.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Product or service
Boston Herald 24-Week Sunday Subscription Coupon
Review category
review #669422 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Groupon? Submit review ›
Helpful? 1 Yes 1 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Groupon. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Groupon.
Filing a new complaint about