4.4K views

This is very annoying. I have no credit or debit card anymore (my wallet recently was lost, my cards deactivated, and I'm in the process of getting new cards issued.)

I do however have a groupon gift card but I CAN'T USE IT without getting a credit card and entering the info to Groupon so they can charge my card a grand total of 0$.

I know this because I called customer service upon not being able to checkout my 19.99$ bill online using my $20.00 gift card.

On the phone I was told "there is no manual work around for this.... we're soooo sorrrryyyy... you'll have to get a credit card."

I expect to do little to no more business with this company as a result of this inconvenience. This company doesn't even accept their own credit or "groupon bucks" without relying on other credit institutions. Pitiful. Pitiful.

The funny thing is... what's most ironic is I BOUGHT THE GROUPON GIFT CARD for myself with BITCOIN so I could make an online purchase BECAUSE I CURRENTLY HAVE NO CREDIT CARDS!

I do this with amazon gift cards all the time simply because I resent using credit cards on the internet and am exited at the evolution of payment and store of value systems such as bitcoin. I plan to use bitcoin and non-government prescribed/issued alternative methods of payment for as many online purchases as possible in the future as a measure of protest against increasing financial enslavement to banks and states through monopolized mandated fiat currencies.

By the time my new credit cards arrive the deal on groupon I wanted to buy and bought the gift card to use to buy in the first place will be expired!

Isn't that just lovely? Dandy? Peachy?

Very annoying.

Why doesn't groupon just accept bitcoin? That would have solved my problems making an online purchase before they began.

Ugh. Very annoyed at groupon's incompetence in the payments department.

Get with the times and accept your own frickin gift card or better yet... just accept bitcoin!

It would be lovely if groupon contacted me and gave me an update on where they're at with accepting bitcoin and accepting their own gift cards.

- Maury

Had an Experience with Groupon?

Comments

I'm having the same problem. It's now 2017 and I'm assuming Groupon haven't fixed the issue.

Same dealio here.What ***.

I guess that's why they've been stagnating while their tech company peers have been soaring in valuation.They just don't get it.

having the same problem.Not worth the aggravation.

As for using them in the future. I have stopped because I bought a D&D groupon card only to read (too late) the very fine print stating that it can only be used in this one D&D a few hours away from where I live.

Unfortunately, these were a gift from my son.I will advise NO MORE GROUPONs in the future for me

#1119016

Yup, same here.They force you to use a credit card and then keep them.

DON'T use this site!!!

They don't even need it if the giftcard covers the cost but they don't care.Boycott them.

Once you type in the gift code and pin, you will not be able to cancel that or use it for any other Groupon deal.you'll be stuck in that transaction, and if you don't have debit card/ or credit card you will not be able to buy anything using that gift code.

I bought two Groupon gift certificates from Paypal to buy one deal, because i can't find my debit card. Now I'm stuck with it, and i don't know if the deal will still be there when i get my new debit card and if not i have no idea if they are going it refund it. Please make sure you talk to the customer service about this BEFORE you type in the gift code. Or just don'T type it in, unless you are sure you want this and have your debit/credit card ready for verifying that your info, only then use it.

The info is basically to determine that you are a person.I really hope they change the system.

to Anonymous #1333701

Where can i find the code on the groupon gift card?

Mountain View, California, United States #958923

Bought 5 gift cards because I canceled my credit card because of fraud. Still wanted to spend money on Groupon but can't buy groupons because they won't accept their gift cards without a credit card.

Utah, United States #889396

hey--- just noticed that if use my smartphone, after getting the gift card entered on my COMPUTER (yes I'm sitting here doing both my pc and my phone for this transaction) -- anyway, i can 'confirm purchase' without the credit card number.

I got the confirmation email already, too.and can see the deal..

on my phone...dear Lord, Groupon can't handle money the way my smartphone can??

to skiUT Flagler Beach, Florida, United States #915095

Yeah, same thing happened to me.I logged into account through my PC and signed myself out.

I'm trying to use Groupon bucks too because that whole issue is really scary.GET WITH IT GROUPON!

Utah, United States #889388

hey, Groupon - this is why I use AMEX, because if you screw THEY come after you, I don't have to! Thank you, American Express for having my back!